Local places to visit
- Stonehenge. 10 minutes World Heritage Site.
- Old Sarum. 20 minutes. This Iron Age Hill Fort is where the first Salisbury Cathedral stood
- Avebury. 30 minutes.
- Salisbury. The historic Cathedral city is 20 minutes.
- Bath. 1 hour
- Wilton House. 25 minutes. Beautiful House with Van Dyck portraits. The grounds are beautiful to walk around, and also has a fantastic adventure playground for children.
- Heale Gardens. 20 minutes.
- Marlborough and its White Horse. 20 minutes.
- Lacock. 45 Minutes National Trust Village with a beautiful Abbey which is used for filming lots of period dramas (including Cranford and Harry Potter films).
- Longleat. 45 minutes. Another great place for all the family.
- Bowood. 45 minutes. Lovely house and great adventure playground.
- Other places to visit. As we are well situated at around an hour’s drive of many major towns and tourist attractions the list is endless of other places you could visit: Bath, Oxford, Marlborough, Cirencester, Cheltenham, Stourhead, Winchester, Bournemouth, Studland Bay and the Dorset beaches.
- The Swan, Long Street, Enford (3 minute walk). 01980 670 338
Our lovely local pub, which is village owned, has great atmosphere, serves local beer and has an imaginative menu. Open daily
- The Red Lion, East Chisenbury (3 minute drive or 15 minutes walk) 01980 671 124 The Red Lion is a gourmet pub and has recently won a Michelin Bib Gourmand award for its cuisine. Open daily
Child friendly activities
As well as Longleat, Wilton House, Bowood and Old Sarum and other good places for the children are:
- The Hawk Conservancy
- Paultons Park Fantastic family theme park which is great for all ages including the little ones as it encompasses Peppa Pig world theme park as well.
- Cholderton Charlies’ Farm is a firm favourite with our children!
- The Museum of Army Flying.
Holiday Activities available in the Area:
If you want to get ‘active’ here are our suggestions. Some need pre-booking:
- Private Fishing on the doorstep! Manningford Trout Fishery which is 10 minutes away is a stocked lake with a Trout Farm, expert tuition can be arranged as well as a chance to fish the lake and catch some Rainbows.
Explore Salisbury Plain on foot, cycle or horseback:
- For cycling information enquire at the house.
- For walking. We can offer advice on literature on very local walks but also
- Horse Riding on Salisbury Plain.
- Visit the Great Bustard Group. Since the reintroduction of this fantastic bird, visitor numbers have rapidly grown. Contact them to arrange a visit or you can e-mail us at email@example.com or phone 07817 971 327.
- For hang gliding and paragliding
- For parachute (tandem or single)Look down on the Plain from a hang glider or parachute:
- Play a round or two of golf at Upavon Golf Club
- Drive frantically around Thruxton Motor Racing Circuit.
- Enjoy a canal boat trip on the Kennet and Avon Canal.